Friday 5 August 2011

The best week so far

The fifth week of my placement has just finished. It was really a good week.

My immunocytochemistry of Becky's experiment revealed some very interesting results. For the first time I also quantified my results (I learned how important it was during Cellular & Molecular Imaging module last term) by counting and grouping cells from the images I'd taken. Sangeeta thinks she might publish these results, so maybe I could even get into a publication!

Second, we finally managed to get nice images from live imaging, without microscope breaking or excessive cell death.

When it comes to laboratory practice, I also created a new plasmid with mutant HDAC protein and transfected bacteria with it. And I have a few colonies! I will isolate the plasmid next week and hopefully transfect some fibroblasts with it.

This week was very rewarding. I brought some of the experiments until the end. I didn't start many new ones, but having already 3 experiments in the incubator is really a lot! I keep passaging fibroblasts in my flask so that they're ready for new transfections next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment