Tuesday 12 July 2011

Everyday working in the lab

I didn't write anything yesterday because the internet access in my house finished for the year and until the end of the placement I will have to use the web on campus. Now I'm writing from the department during my lunch break.

Yesterday and today I carried on with my experiment. I have 4 cell lines now and each of them requires different handling. I have been changing media, preparing starvation medium, stimulating cells, fixing them, immunostaining with antibodies and preparing slides for fluorescent microscopy. There is quite a lot to do now and most importantly - I can do it on my own. I feel confident now, but I still need Sangeeta to show me where necessary antibodies or chemicals are.
Both Monday and Tuesday were similar - we discussed the plan with Sangeeta in the morning and then I did what I had to do. I am really enjoying the work. Also, I clearly understand what we're doing, which makes it really exciting!

Apart from the experiment, I also feel so settled in the lab that I also carry out "housekeeping" duties, such as putting tips in the boxes, shuttling between the lab and autoclave room and filling water bath with deionised water. I'm feeling part of the lab.

I also noticed that the times of my posts on this blog are from American time zone (-8 hours). I usually write in the afternoon, not at 6 in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment